Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sample Lessons

We had the honor to observe the school's principal teach some sample lessons to his form 7 class. He taught the students in Swahili about coordinates, graphing, and multiplication. The thing that struck me most was how the more things change, the more they stay the same. Guess what happened in the middle of the lesson? The principal/teachers cell phone rang. Funny, right - I'll bet you didn't expect that! After that, Leeron's admirer and a teacher at the school named Jumanne (which means Tuesday) taught an English language lesson on phrases. I swear that during my time in Tanzania, I've learned more about he formal English language than I, as a native speaker, ever knew before. Check out the video - you'll notice it's very quiet in a Tanzanian classroom! This video is of a student working out a math equation.

No comments: