Monday, August 29, 2011

Earthquake in the Library

Cross posting from ontheshelf4kids:  http://ontheshelf4kids.blogspot.com/2011/08/earthquake-in-library.html

Tuesday, August 23rd, sometime around 2:00ish in the Pine Road Library, I find myself perched on a ladder.  With the transfer student meet and greet in the library, I decided to spiff things up a bit and make the place look welcoming and put together, and so commenced, with the help of a nesting Mrs. Abramson, the chores of displaying books, re-affixing any posters or wall decoration that had fallen toward the end of the school year or over the summer, organizing the student's work supplies, and picking up stray pencils and crayons.  So, while hanging a poster on the top step of a ladder next to a wall bookcase that probably is not affixed to the wall, Mrs. A looked at me and asked, "What's that?". To which I replied, "What?". I heard the noise.  There are four pillars in the library which contain, I believe support beams that I can hear jangle around in high wind, so I began to explain this when we heard noise above as if someone was walking in the ceiling.  That was new.  Then I looked outside expecting high winds but not a leaf was out of place on any of the trees.  Then it stopped.  So we got back to work.  I never left the top of the ladder.  It never occurred to me to do so.  A few minutes later, one of the custodians came in and asked, "Did you feel the earthquake?". The what-quake.  We are in Pennsylvania, folks.  No fault lines here.  But he confirmed that he had just gotten off the phone with his daughter who had felt it too.  As it turns out, lots of people did.  From South Carolina all the way North to Canada.  And I was on the top of a ladder.  I'll bet that's not a strategy in any earthquake emergency preparedness literature.

*Additional family info: I called home to Jeff to check in, he had been getting Cece ready to nap.  He reacted as many out here did.  That was an earthquake?  Huh.

No comments: