Sunday, February 22, 2009

del.icio.us


OK - I've finally gotten with the program. I created my very own del.icio.us bookmarks page. Last year this whole social bookmarking thing was introduced to me in a technology class, but at the time I didn't see the need. Just one more page to check and update, I thought. I have an igoogle page where I can store my bookmarks on the web and access them, why should I have these kinds of bookmarks in more than one place? I have a blogger page with links listed along the side for others to access...what's the need?! Well, those links lists along the side were getting mighty long and so were my igoogle bookmarks. The tagging ability on the del.icio.us page makes it easy to find what I'm looking for (I also didn't used to see the need for tagging - I get it now). Instead of making separate links lists for teaching sites, technology related sites, baby sites, etc....all those links can be housed together but sorted with the tagging function. Now, I still have a need for my igoogle page because I don't see the need to share my bookmark/link to my banking website, or my school email access link, and I've found a convenient way to share my del.icio.us bookmarks through this blog without having to do double duty. Look to the right, now look down a bit...you will actually notice two different blogger "gadgets". One will let you search all of my del.icio.us bookmarks without having to leave this site. For example, type in cloth and you'll get all the cloth diapering sites I've saved thus far. Type in technology, and you have instant access to all the links that I've tagged as technology related. Below that is a list of the links themselves, but they are not sorted in a feasible fashion. In fact, they're in the order they were entered, with the most recent appearing first. I tried to change this either to alphabetical order or some other seeming organization but to no avail. If anyone knows how to alter this, just let me know. I'd be happy to make this more coherent, but for the time being, it's a list of links that can be casually perused if you don't know what it is you're looking for. There's always the site itself too: http://delicious.com/ellenzschunke
Feel free to connect and peruse at your leisure. I hope that anyone out there looking for baby, environmental, teaching, or technology resources has a little luck in their searching through the help of these links. Enjoy!
A little background - I refer to the site as del.icio.us as this was its original URL. It would appear that in my boycotting lapse it has become a dot com, and so perhaps it is well on its way to sustainability as well.

No comments: