Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

We here at the Zschunke house are celebrating New Years by doing nothing special - well, unless you count family time as special...which we do!  Cecelia and Jeff took their first (of many I'm sure) outing yesterday by themselves.  Jeff was very excited to take his daughter out and show her off.  They went to a bookstore, the bank, the library and a coffee shop.  It can be tricky heading out with an infant during the cold weather months.  Do you take the carseat in, or carry her, or put her in a carrier like a sling or the Baby Bjorn?  Once inside, do you keep her in her snow suit, or take her out to cool her down?  And if she's sleeping...well, these days we definitely don't mess with that!  She's getting bigger now and her eating is spaced out to a slightly more predictable routine so that we can trust her to "last" in between feedings without me.  Not that she couldn't before, it was just one more thing to plan for then, just in case.  At the same time, I got a much needed rest.  Since we've been trying an earlier bed time, Cecelia's fired back with a (very) early morning wake up - approximately between 3 and 4 AM, so I've been trying to catch up on some rest with some day time naps for me too.  And since this increase in wake ups, I'm scrapping the very early bed time for a slightly later one to see what happens.  Hopefully the new year will bring some more sleep.  Not what most people are probably thinking this evening as they toast each other and watch fireworks, but we're not most people.  Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"early rising" runs in my family ... does it in yours? Once Oz & Ali started sleeping through the night, as infants, they each went through about a year of 5/5:30am wake-ups. Didn't matter when we put them to bed.

The pattern has stuck ... weekends, holidays, etc. They are typically up around 6/6:30am. Luckily, I'm a happy morning person ... lucky for Nick, that is!

Happy New Year Ellen!

Ellen Zschunke said...

Interesting thought, Wendy - I am a relatively early riser. I'm a morning person, anyway - but if given the opportunity, I'll sleep in too. All last year, I would get up at 5:30 and exercise before getting ready for school, and I think that's actually a somewhat acceptable time...however 3/3:30/4 seems to really bother me, so I'm trying to stretch her from that ungodly hour. I'm sure this will all seem lovely when we're getting them up for school and they assuredly spring from the bed ready to get dressed and eat breakfast, right? I hope you had a nice holiday with your family!!!