Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ultrasound Sound Off

We had our 26 week ultrasound last night to check on (speaking of...) the placenta positioning. A condition called placenta previa occurs when the placenta is blocking the cervix, and for those of you who are unaware, that would really get in the way of traffic when it comes time for baby to make her big move. Right now, the placenta is still considered low-lying, but not creating a traffic jam just yet. When the placenta is low-lying, the doctors like to keep a close eye and hope for some upward movement. So, I'll be headed back under the wand in 4 weeks at 30 weeks for another ultrasound and Mama (my mama) is excited because she'll get to witness this one as well. This is not all bad...really. There is no danger to baby and the worst case scenario is that I would have to get a c-section instead of having a natural birth. I've talked to lots of people where the placenta was initially low-lying and did make "the move" to get out of the way and allow for a natural birth and, of course, that's what I hope for. At the same time, I resign myself to whatever will be as this is just one of those things over which I don't have control (no matter how hard I try :) On the super-positive side, baby still has a healthy heartbeat and a great smile. Pictures will probably be coming tomorrow and we have another dinosaur shot. She (oh yeah, she's definitely a she, without getting into too much anatomical discussion and embarrassing my poor fetus) looked to be yawning at first, but then appeared to be chattering away - again, I wonder where she gets that trait??

No comments: