Friday, July 1, 2011

Erupting Gums

Cece has sprouted quite a few teeth successfully since her relatively late first comers. But there are still an awful lot of gaps between those choppers too. While most almost two year olds are expecting or already have their molars, I suspect we are a long way from finished. And Cece is, um, dramatic. Now, it's hard to be sure, but teeth are easy to blame when your child is acting like a lunatic as mine was this afternoon post-nap. At dinner, she opened her mouth and I spotted what looked like three spikes shooting through her gums, which certainly explains a few things. Cece has worn her Baltic amber necklace from Inspired by Finn since she was about four months old. I still think it helped and certainly did not hurt. But on a day like today when things are happening fast and furious...well, it can't work miracles. I'm just hoping that on the day of my sister's wedding, Cece will be more cooperative putting on her flower girl dress than she was today. Let me transport you there. She began to scream because the fitting room door was closing. So we decided that perhaps the door could stay open. Then she was screaming because I was trying to take off her dress. She wanted to take it off herself, you see. And she did. And she proudly marched around in her diaper cover and pink crocs. She was not on board with just seeing if her dress fit. Oh no. She was here to make every last bride to be in the place miserable, and reconsider having children of her own. Fortunately, my sister was not among them. I apologized profusely to the brides who, I'm sure, were hoping for a slightly more magical moment as they tried on wedding dresses. But I digress. I did wrestle (gently) my daughter into the dress to make sure (because this was my mom's big concern) that the arm holes were big enough. Really!?! The arm holes!?! Let me explain that Cece is a slender, svelte child. But, I did. Because it was also a final sale. And it fit and was promptly removed. Cece literally broke out in hives of anger at this ordeal. We paid and exited, and I'm sure everyone breathed a sigh of relief. I did not until she went to sleep a short time ago. This summer is going to be one fun ride for sure. Stay tuned. Did I mention she's almost two?

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I feel your pain, Ellen! Just as I've settled into enjoying summer with the kids, they've started acting like crazy people. Mostly toward each other, but still...