Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Healthy Eatin'

Since last November, I've embraced a plant based, whole foods diet. At first, the instructor advised us of a plan - 6 days on, 1 day off - to manageably ease into a vegan lifestyle. So, that's how it started - 6 days of plant based diet, and 1 day of whatever I want. I found that I felt healthier and stronger. I decided to learn as much as I could. Through the course of the last year, I've read other books supporting this ideal: Michael Pollan's books - The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food as well as Plenty by Alisa Smith and J.B. McKinnon. There are more on my waiting list: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and Slow Food Nation. Additionally, I've begun research into a local CSA and have invested in a winter share for my husband and I. One of the suggestions that the instructor gave was to prepare - if you prepare fresh fruits and vegetables for the week in portions, then there are no excuses. It is what is available in the house. Likewise, if you don't buy things that you know are unhealthy, then they're not there making it that much less likely that you'll indulge. If you want to make a change - be smart about it!

No comments: