Friday, May 16, 2008

YouTube as a Teaching Tool for Teachers

I found this video on YouTube that illustrates classroom guided reading using legos. There are many more instructional videos out there to educate educators on methods they may not be entirely familiar and/or comfortable with in their own teaching. Utilizing video links like this for teachers empowers teachers to take matters into their own hands. Instead of observing one another (which is an invaluable experience in and of itself) teachers can observe through technology available at our fingertips. Using videos such as this to illustrate instructional practice would also be helpful to novice teachers who are just starting in the district and may not be familiar with the jargon being used in schools. I like the use of legos for the creativity and entertaining aspects as well as the non-use of real students. I certainly think we learn most from working with our students and there were a number of videos available with "real" students, but I worry about posting video of our young learners doing just that: learning. Learning is a very personal process and while our students these days are more willing to "broadcast" themselves, I think this is an area where we need to take great care in protecting their identity as well. In setting up this post, I also successfully embedded my first YouTube video (wahoo).

No comments: