Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Joy Diet Step 1: Do Nothing

I began to listen to the book, "The Joy Diet" by Martha Beck on audiobook as it was recommended by a friend. I don't consider myself an un-joyful person. Much the opposite, but I'd like to maintain my joyfulness and this seemed like as good a time as any to reflect. Now, I am normally able to buzz through audiobooks pretty well during my commute, but this one threw me for a loop. I am supposed to take one week to practice each step before attempting to incorporate the next one. My memory's not what it used to be, so after step one was completed in the book, I popped it out, recorded what track I was on and got set to return in to the library. I have the print book out as well and that is not due back yet so that will likely be my course for this book.

Back to step one.

Do nothing.

Hmmm, I get the concept, and I get that this can be incredibly difficult. I've been wanting to make meditation a more regular practice so this affords me the opportunity to do so. This morning, before I was finished the chapter, I took five minutes at the end of my time at the gym to find a spot in the yoga room and meditate. I patted myself on the back. Check. I did "nothing" today. For a solid five minutes.

Then I got back in the car and Martha Beck told me I was supposed to do nothing for at least 15-20 minutes. Sheesh.

So, tonight I did just that. 15 minutes. Only, after 5 minutes I had to peek at a clock to check the time because I was sure it must have been close to 15 minutes. Then I did the same after another 5 minutes, then another 4. Then I stared down the clock for a full minute. Longest minute ever. At different points I thought about how I would write this blog, then reminded myself to push all "thoughts" out to make room for...nothing. So, it's not a perfect start, but that's why I will make this part of my daily "practice."

No comments: